Sunday, October 29, 2006

Time Change... Oops.

Yup, a big "oops" on this one. Lord only knows when I'll finish this post, but the time you see on it is now correct. I didn't know that I could change the time from PST to EST... Hmm, should that be DST or did we just come out of DST into EST? Way too many abbreviations for me and it's way too early to think about.

But my body is still on the old time, so I was up at 4AM. Will make the bosses happy when I go back to work that I'm getting up earlier. This past week, I was running late just about every day. Mostly, because I was in here and updating my blog, but then the lines at Dunkin' Donuts was long and there were school buses. There's one that makes 5 stops... yes, count that *5* stops in a one block span... Unless I leave the house by 7:12, I'm inevitably caught behind that durned bus. And considering I don't have to be to work technically until 8AM, it really sucks having to leave that early.

I'm considering giving up my strike. I did dishes yesterday. A mountain of them. They'd been "soaking" for 4 days. The girls always tell me that they'll do them before they go to bed and yet I've caught them sneaking nighttime slumber for several nights before the trace of milk has "soaked" off the glasses. Heck, Dee has dug up half of a field and dragged it into my living room since she last sweated over a couple dinner plates. Isn't it amazing how dirt weighs so much less than a plate?

I did manage to push the wilderness out of my way yesterday and did some spinning. I moved from the Wesleydale (is that even right? ) to the new Merino. A full pound of gorgeous confetti Merino from Copper Moose that I've been itching to try. It's light, light grey with little bits of yellow, blue and pink cotton strands mingled throughout. But that Merino is slippery. I kept losing the draft. I'd be spinning away and suddenly the hands are empty. Had to slow the wheel and loosen the tension to keep it from pulling away. I think I've got the hang of it now, if I could just get even tension.

I was doing good with the Corriedale and Wesleydale. In fact, I did enough that I plied some together. Have to get a pic of that and post it before I knit that into a scarf. I have more Corriedale, so I have to spin up more Wesleydale in order to finish the ply. Looks like an Aran tweed or something. Haven't got a clue, but I want to knit it into a scarf just so I can keep it as my first attempt at spinning.

BTW, contacted Laurie Sanford to get a lesson. She's going to email me with some dates and we'll pick one. Okay, I have the patience meter of a mayfly and I really wanted YESTERDAY, but it was a terrible day weather-wise so probably not a good idea to take the wheel out into the maelstrom. Winds were incredible. I'd be amazed if any of the trees in CT have any leaves left on them. I think they're all in my gutters...

I was taking stock of my stash the other day. Hence the reason I ordered new stuff. I was trying to see what I've got and what I need. Yes, shopping list of yarn. Isn't that just the best concept? I was dangerously low. I mean, I'm not big on stashes. If I have too much yarn, I get confused on what to knit next. Call me weird, but I don't want to pet it and admire it. I want to see it done in projects. I want to wear it on my feet, not admire it in a box or bag or even a drawer. So I try not to get too far ahead of myself. But I was really surprised. I only have yarn for three pairs of socks.

3?!?!?!?!?!? My goodness and YIKES!!!!!

So I had to remedy that. I might be taking a trip off to Country Yarns again today. See if they have more Cherry Tree Hill sock yarn (and maybe some others that might be stashed in a corner and I missed on my last venture). I do have 3 more colors on order with Lisa Souza. Joseph's Coat and Mars Quake and something else. I don't remember because I also ordered some roving.

I definitely need more. Lord knows, once I finish the Christmas project (which will be this week definitely, if not by the Halloween deadline I'd earlier predicted), I'll be whipping out socks like there's no tomorrow. Course, I might have to start a shawl or afghan because I don't have a booth to sit in and it's getting durned cold. I need something across my lap for warmth rather than run my car the whole day to keep warm. The bosses claim I'll have a booth by Nov 17th. Hmm, just in time for the Thanksgiving holiday. (The university is off that week, which means I'll be off. Makes perfect sense to me to have the booth ready in time for no one to sit in it... ) I'm guessing that means it'll be done for the Christmas break.

I did have one administrator drive through this past week. I can't remember her title. Director of Students or some such thing. She told me next academic year.

Her, I believe.

I finally got an address for my Yarn Swap partner. Tammy lives in Alabama. Hence the reason I collected and inventoried my sad stash. I have some yarns that I worked with and I think she'll like them. But she's having a real tough time in her life right now, so I want to make her package something really special. She needs a nice boost and I can try to give her a little smile during her time of trouble. So I'm gathering. I have some cotton blends that would work better in AL than in CT. So I'm going to send all of it to her. And I have a couple other yarns that should work nicely. A nice little package of variety to keep her mind off the rest of her life when she needs it.

The only thing I don't have yet is a small "gift". I haven't found anything that's caught my eye yet. I'll look when I invade Country Yarns this afternoon. (Today is the first day they're supposed to be open on Sunday afternoon, so I think a drive that way is definitely in my schedule. )

Okay, off and running. Well... not running. It's way too early and I haven't showered yet. Don't want to scare small children and wild animals. (Course, Hubby would say I should venture out and get a pound of coffee for the machine. There has to be a Dunkin Donuts that's open -- there is down in North Haven -- and since I'm up... Yeah, right! ) I think I'll blast my iTunes and play a couple rounds of Luxor-Amun Rising. Then I might think about a shower...

No comments: