Saturday, October 14, 2006

All sorts of good stuff

I'm finally out of withdrawal. Last night was the first home hockey game. Okay, I missed the first period because of a family matter where my presence was requested. So I took care of what needed taking care of and then had Mark whiz me over to the rink. The place was packed and I saw some good friends before finally finding my kids (they said it was interesting to collect the season tickets that were held under my name without me being there, but having my employee ID did help ). They were standing in the wrong corner. To find out they got there late (I take it youngest daughter had a last-minute hair emergency... probably a wave that showed up just to spite her ), so our usual corner was already occupied.

I did manage to chat a few minutes with El, the wife of a guy I work with. She's another die-hard fan of the Quinnipiac Bobcats and, unfortunately, had to have her leg amputated this summer. She actually looks wonderful! You can't even tell that one of her legs isn't real. Her spirits are terrific and she told me how the team sent her a card this summer during her recuperation that was unexpected and really lifted her spirits. (Haven't I told before how wonderful these kids are?) She was touched and determined to be back in her corner come game time and she was there. Good for her!

Almost as wonderful as seeing El and her wonderful spirit was the fact that we won! Woohoo! Maybe we'll be in serious contention for the league, but it's still early. I was just happy to get a dose of hockey into my system. There's nothing like a crowd (overcrowded if you like opinions, which I'm always full of ) of Crazy Bobcat fans.

Tonight I'll get another dose. That will definitely lift my spirits and hold them until Monday night when I get home from work...

Why?

My spinning wheel should arrive Monday night. It's in transit. It's in Stamford (yes, I'm tempted to call them and go pick it up ), but I'll have it in my hot little hands on Monday night. I've already informed Mark that he'll be busy putting it together for me and my feet are already itching to sit and treadle. I want to see it actually spin, powered by my own feet.

Course, that means I have to contact Laurie and set up a lesson or two. Get good advice right from the start and don't screw this up. But I'll do that this week. First, get it together and see how I'm going to transport it. See what chair will be comfortable for treadling. Get the rhythm and I've got lots of carded roving to play with until I figure out what I'm doing...

Oh, and more news!

I have a way to add pics to my blog. Woohoo! Okay, I can't show the present I'm working on (which is seriously close to the halfway point now and it's really coming together nicely). That will have to wait until after I've gifted it to it's recipient. But I can add pics of the socks I've made since this summer. And I can add pics of the kids and the dogs and the cats. The autumn foliage which is really turning spectacular this fall. I'll have to grab some pics on my way to work. I go in early enough (around 7:30 or so) that the sun is just peeking over the hills, so it captures the tops of the trees while the bottom of the tree is still sleeping in muted splendor. Some terrific pic opportunities and I hope to take advantage of that as the colors really come into their peak season.

And I reconnected with Lori Avocato. She's a published author of 15 books and someone I've known for more years than either of us will ever admit to, so don't ask. But Lori and I are going to meet up next month. I'd do it today, but I have another commitment at the time that needs my attention a lot more. Please check out Lori's site at www.loriavocato.com She's writing mysteries about an ex-nurse who now investigates health care insurance fraud. Lori is such a delightful lady, her books have got to be fabulous. (Yes, I'll be running over to www.bn.com to get copies of Lori's books ASAP.) Support her books and check out her site. I'm beyond thrilled for her and hope I can send a few customers her way.

Her critics say that if you like Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series, you'll enjoy the perils of Pauline. I know I'll enjoy them, so let's do a read-a-long.

And, in the meantime, I'm going to steal a camera and get moving on some pics so this site can get a LOT more interesting...

No comments: