Thursday, November 16, 2006

Christmas is coming... Yikes!

The holidays are nearer than either of us like to think. I have a turkey waiting to be defrosted in the freezer and I just got a shipment of yarn and roving that I want to spin for presents. It's funny, but until I saw the roving (some gorgeous stuff from Lisa Souza in Bird of Paradise and Wild Things), I didn't think of attempting to use it for this year. But I think it would make wonderful gifts for my girls. Even if I can only get a scarf for each, this is my goal.

So I have a lot of work to do in the next five weeks... Yikes!

That won't leave a lot of time to run to the store to wrestle and fight with customers for whatever is on the table. Not that I enjoy shopping for anything because I've always hated it. So I have another plan for some of the people on my gift list.

Gift catalogs! Let them choose their own gift and, unlike money or a gift card where you still have to venture to the store to redeem it, these catalogs are easy. They come with an 800 number so your recipient calls in, gives their choice and the gift is shipped directly to their house. No cost to them. The shipping is already figured into the price of the catalog. And there's no price tag anywhere. Comes with a pretty envelope to put the catalog inside and everything.

So where do you find these little treasures? Easy as pie.
http://bpierson1.ordermygift.com/

Teachers, bus drivers, mail carrier and newspaper boy. There's a nice $20 catalog that has everything from a 2-person pup tent to a 5-pc cookware set. How about that aunt whom you never know what to get? Give her the catalog with a variety of gourmet dinners. Or the catalog of sterling silver jewelry. How about the catalog dedicated solely to handbags? We're talking Dooney & Burke (did I get that right? ), not the latest WalMart special. Catalogs specifically for men and teens. Jewelry and perfumes. Seriously nice stuff at prices you won't believe. How about that perfect baby gift for only $30? Heck, you could even give a 2-night, 3-day vacation for a mere $240.

Yup, I'm off to grab a few myself for those hard-to-buy-for people on my list.

Be back with more stuff to talk about, but gotta prepare well for today. Mandatory overtime and it's supposed to downpour about an hour or two before my shift will be over. Oh boy. I can't wait...

BTW, quick update. Gee, no booth yet. Now there's a "Duh!" moment. Can't wait to see what new brainstorm they come up with. So I'm still sitting in my car all day. Listening to lots of CDs (even started some Christmas music to get myself in the mood) and knitting up a storm. Will switch from socks to scarves as soon as my yarn arrives. I hope that's soon...

No comments: