Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Get Rich Quick -- tsk, tsk, tsk....

I was real tempted to delete that comment from my last posting, but then I wouldn't have a chance to rebut or refute it. Definitely not someone who's willing to work for money earned and wanting a "quick fix" for a cash-strapped situation.

Do you know where the term "get rich quick" came from? From the days of the Gold Rush in California (and then repeated when gold was found in the Yukon). People sold their homes and moved their families into tent towns, spending up to 20 hours a day panning rocks and silt in order to get rich quick on a few nuggets (if they were lucky) of metal.

That's not where the money was made, dearest. The real money was made by the people who created the towns and sold the everyday consumable products to the dreamers who went swarming into the hills. They set up shop and sold tents and shovels and picks and beef jerky so the guys in the hills had a place to get out of the rain and food to gnaw on while waiting to make their fortunes. The guys in the hills went broke and the guys who stayed and created the towns got rich.

Prior to that time, people didn't believe in "get rich quick". They knew they'd have to work for a paycheck and hopefully make enough to feed their family. We've lost the concept of building and developing a business. We've lost the concept of work.

The opportunity I talk about is something that you can develop over time. It's something that builds on itself and grows in direct proportion to the effort you put into it. The beauty of the system I'm working with is that I don't have to quit my day job to do it. The investment is nominal and my goal is to replace my current job with the income I can make from this new one so I'll have more time to invest where I want it to go. And the thing is... there's no cap on what you can make. No ceiling. Keep building your business and you'll make more money. It's that simple. And, in the meantime, my income is growing because I'm part of a team. When my time is limited, I know the other people on my team are picking up the slack. When they're crunched for time, they can depend on me to pick up the slack. And we all benefit from each other's efforts.

Instead of the ole dog-eat-dog world that we've somehow turned into (isn't it sad?), I have a team to depend on to help me out when I'm down and I get to build them up when they've had a tough day.

Off to work for the day. The girls have a dinner thing after practice today, so I'm hoping to grab the computer and post some more before they get home...

No comments: