Thursday, September 28, 2006

Four years...

I asked in a post prior to this if you've ever thought about where you'll be and what you'll be doing in five years. Okay, how about four?

As usual, I was listening to a CD yesterday and the guy made a point that I feel is valid. It's funny that parents will applaud and hug their children if they sign up for a tour in the service in order to get a free education at the end of it. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm a service brat. My Dad spent 22 years in the Coast Guard, my brother did tours with both the Navy and the Army Reserves. I have a cousin who was a bubblehead and another who was a Marine. My brother's ex-wife was in the Navy. I dated servicemen and even had a ride into the Coast Guard Academy if I'd simply said the "word".

I believe, wholeheartedly, that we need to defend our country and our people. I believe we're the first line of defense when it comes to defending the freedom of all peoples around the world. Our men and women have fought for democracy for over three hundred years and that ideal is more precious to any of us than we give them credit for.

But there are a LOT of people out there who signed up simply to get a free education at the end. They get some of the smallest paychecks our country can hand out and live in poverty to protect the very freedoms we enjoy and I salute them every day of my life.

But if I told you that you could take that same dedication for four years and set yourself up for life and potentially never have to work another day, you'd tell me I'm crazy. And my question is "Why?"

I looked down the road four, five years and I don't want to be doing what I'm doing now. If what I was doing was so terrific, I wouldn't have been looking for another way out. My husband wouldn't get up with dread each morning of what he'll find waiting when he gets into work. (He's in charge of the maintenance dept and, let's face it, folks, he's nothing more than a firefighter. You know why? Because he spends all day putting out the fires that others have started... )

In four years, we're both going to be 50 years old. Yikes!!!! Do I still want him doing what he's doing with dread and long teeth? Nope. Do I still want to be putting on a uniform to watch a passel of students take off to class every day? Nope. Part of me wants to ask each and every one of them, "Sure, you're getting an education. But will you truly be prepared to work until the day you die?"

Nope. I'm sure they don't. And I surely don't want to either. I'd much rather work very hard right now in a positive environment, surrounded by people who are positive and optimistic (rather than pessimistic and disgruntled) and find that path to financial freedom.

And you're first reaction will be that it simply can't work. Hmm.... I'm thinking. But have you truly tried? I've seen it work. I've met the people who are now living on easy street. How can you (or I, for that matter) naysay when I've actually seen it work. All I need to do is be willing to invest my time and efforts and I could have the same results.

The choice is mine. And I choose to work and invest my time. The question is if you're willing to do the same.

No comments: