Saturday, January 27, 2007

Dedication weekend...

Have to be at work in less than 6 hours. The new combo basketball/hockey athletic center is done and today is the big dedication. Yes, the building is state of the art. I don't think there's a center in all of the country that matches this one. (When Quinnipiac decides to spend money, they definitely do it right... ) But there's a double header basketball today with both men's and women's teams playing, followed by women's hockey tonight. Tons of crowds. Lots of press. And they want a whole slew of security around the place. So I'm going in this afternoon to work the second basketball game and tonight's hockey game. Probably won't get out much before 9 or 10 tonight...

Other news... I booked my flight last night. Going to St. Louis for the TEAM National Convention in March. Yup, it's that "business thing" I'm involved in. I still get looks like I'm crazy for what I'm doing, but they're expecting 30,000 to 40,000 people at this thing, so I'm definitely not alone in believing that this business is my one chance to not have to work for someone else for the rest of my life. This trip won't be cheap, but I learned way back with the publishing business that you have to invest what you earn back into your business to make it work. I know this is true. OTOH, the first year in publishing, I took an $8K loss in income. And that business began paying for itself after three years. All the bills were paid, the authors earned their royalties and we showed a profit. I honestly believe this business will pay for itself after just one year (sooner if I get off my tush and work the system) and the growth should be exponential.

I started one business on a shoestring budget. This one isn't much different, but this one has a system. Though I loved saying that my publishing company was a business I owned, let's face the reality. It was a company that owned me. TEAM isn't like that. Once I get my business rolling, it won't need me to keep going. That will be refreshing. I'm tired of being what they call a 95%er. And to get into the 5%, I need this trip and I need the exposure to thousands of people who are just like me.

Okay, moving on. I need to hop in the shower so I can sit and spin a while before I have to go to work. Today is a day I need to sit and spin a while. Realign my thinking and maybe watch "Miracle". Meant to watch last night and got halfway through, but I was tired, so I conked out.

Have two new pairs of socks to put on the site. One was made from Stone Barn Fiber's Tainted Love. Came out really pretty. The other is Koigu. Haven't got a clue what the number is (why don't they put names on their colors? ) I call them my Parrot Socks because the colors remind me of ones you'd see in a parrot's feathers. You know you've got too much time at work to do nothing else when you can knit an entire pair of socks in four days. Yup, I started and finished my parrot socks in just four days...

BTW, made a deal with younger daughter. She got a new camera for Christmas. (Have I mentioned this before? ) I get her old camera and will use that for pics. ('Bout time, Bon!!!! ) So pics are coming once she teaches me how to get them from the camera to the computer.

In the meantime, I'm off. Have a sparkling day!!!

No comments: